. October 7 -

Averages are helpful but they are just that, they are averages.  They will give you some idea of how agents are doing overall, but they may not give you a complete picture.  Consider for a moment that a score of 85% and above is the goal in quality monitoring.  It might be entirely possible that the average score for the month was 85% or even higher.  One might think, “Great! We had a terrific month and provided excellent service to our customers.”  This might or might not be the case.

Suppose for a moment, that 100 scored calls were included in that average.  The calls could breakdown as follows:

  • 20 of the calls received a score of 100%
  • 45 of the calls received a score of 85% or greater but less than 100%
  • 35 of the calls received a score below 85%

With this breakdown, we see how hard it is to determine the likelihood of a random customer having a call with the target level of service and quality.  And anyway, the customer does not care about the average score.  The customer only cares about that one time when he or she picked up the phone and called in.

What are the chances that one call was a good one?  In the above scenario, the customer has a 20% chance of the call being perfect, 45% chance that the call was not perfect but did achieve the desired level of quality, and a 35% chance that the call did not meet the organizations desired level of service and quality.  That means that more than 1 out of 3 customers were not served the way we would like for them to have been.

To get this more accurate picture in your reporting, consider providing more than just an overall average.  Break the calls down, as above, in percent of calls that received a perfect score, percent of calls that met the target, and percent of calls that did not meet the target.

Note:  This week’s tip is provided by Tyler Culp of Cokesbury, retail division of The United Methodist Publishing House. He may be reached at tculp@cokesbury.com